Sikkim is a small state in northeastern India, nestled in the lap of the Himalayas known for its scenic beauty, rich culture, and adventure activities. It is a paradise for adventure enthusiasts with its stunning natural beauty, diverse terrain, and a plethora of adventure activities. From trekking to paragliding, white-water rafting to mountain biking. Sikkim has something to offer for every adventure seeker. Let's take a closer look at some of the adventure activities in Sikkim.
1. Trekking: Sikkim is a trekker's paradise with its towering peaks and dense forests. The most popular treks in Sikkim are Goecha La, Dzongri trek, Singalila Ridge trek, and Kanchenjunga Base Camp trek. The wide open sky, towering lush greens forming a canopy over the trails, and the stunning views of the Himalayas makes trekking in Sikkim extremely fun-filled.
2. River Rafting: One of the best things to do in Sikkim during Summers is the white water rafting. The Teesta and Rangit rivers offer thrilling white water rafting experiences for both beginners and experts. The rapids range from grade 1 to grade 4, making it an ideal destination for adventure enthusiasts.
3. Caving: Sikkim's numerous caves are waiting to be explored. Popular ones include the Tashigang Cave and the Namchi Cave.
4. Paragliding: Sikkim's pristine landscapes offer a breathtaking view from the air. Paragliding is a popular adventure activity in Gangtok and is available throughout the year. Feel the thrill associated with jumping off a cliff and flying over snowy mountains. Paragliding is the perfect answer for what to do in Sikkim for those looking for adventure and adrenaline pumping activities in the state. With flying sites in Gangtok, Ravangla, and Kalimpong, you'll get to see some of the most breathtaking views of the Himalayas and valleys below.
5. Mountain Biking: Sikkim's rugged terrain makes it a perfect destination for mountain biking. The mountain biking trails in Sikkim offer a combination of steep climbs, technical descents, and breathtaking views. Popular routes include Gangtok to Rumtek Monastery, Gangtok to Martam Village, and Gangtok to Ranka Monastery.
6. Yak Riding: Yak riding are a unique experience offered in Sikkim's high altitude areas. Riding on a yak is an altogether exhilarating experience. In Sikkim, one can find amusingly decorated yaks with colourful woollens, strings, and bells near the scenic Tsomgo Lake, where they can be hired for a ride on the outskirts of the half frozen lake. Yak Riding is among the top things to do in Sikkim for kids on a visit to Tsomgo Lake.
7. Hang Gliding: Hang gliding is a relatively new adventure activity in Sikkim. The Tashi Viewpoint in Gangtok offers a perfect launchpad for hang gliders, with its clear skies and gentle winds. Hand gliding is somewhat similar to paragliding, just a little more challenging.
8. Rock Climbing: Sikkim has some excellent rock climbing sites, including the popular Tenzing rock in Gangtok. Rock climbing is a great way to test your strength and endurance. Sikkim's rugged terrain makes it the perfect destination for rock climbing. With spots like Chemchey, Dzongri, and Tashiding, you'll have plenty of routes to choose from, no matter your level of expertise.
9. Cable Car Ride or Ropeway: The cable car ride or Ropeway in Gangtok offers a breathtaking view of the city and its surroundings. A cable car ride in Gangtok is a must-do for anyone visiting Sikkim. This is one thrilling experience that every traveler can enjoy, irrespective of their ages. This activity gives one a chance to witness the entire city at a glance, inspiring awe with every view.
10. Hot Spring Bath: After a day of adventure activities, relax your sore muscles in the hot springs of Sikkim. The state has many natural hot springs known for their healing properties. Some of the most popular ones include Yumthang Hot Spring, Reshi Hot Spring, and Phurchachu Hot Spring.
1. Is Sikkim safe for adventure activities?
Yes, Sikkim is a safe destination for adventure activities. However, it is recommended to follow safety guidelines and take necessary precautions.
2.What is the best time to visit Sikkim for adventure activities?
The best time to visit Sikkim for adventure activities is from March to June and September to December.
3. What is the minimum age requirement for adventure activities in Sikkim?
Yes, most adventure activities in Sikkim have age restrictions. For example, river rafting, Paragliding is not recommended for children below 14 years of age. It is recommended to check with the adventure activity provider for age restrictions.
4. Do I need prior experience to participate in adventure activities in Sikkim?
No, prior experience is not necessary for most adventure activities in Sikkim. However, it is recommended to take necessary training and guidance before participating in any adventure activity.
Q: Is it necessary to book paragliding or River rafting activities in advance?
No it not required to book adventure activities in advance. On arrival at the site you can book directly for your activity.
Q. Can I do river rafting in Sikkim if I don't know how to swim?
Yes, you can do river rafting in Sikkim even if you don't know how to swim. However, it is recommended to wear a safety gear like life jacket at all times and follow the instructions by your guide.
Q. Do I need a permit to visit Sikkim?
Indian nationals can visit Sikkim without any permit however some places like Tsongmo Lake and North Sikkim require an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to visit Sikkim. Foreign nationals require a Restricted Area Permit (RAP).
Q: Do I need to be physically fit for adventure activities in Sikkim?
Yes, adventure activities in Sikkim require a certain level of physical fitness. It's advisable to consult your doctor before embarking on any adventure activity.